6 Ways to Lower Electricity Bills
This includes turning off lights and other electronics. When you leave a room, shut off the light behind you. Unplug electronics that aren’t being used, such as cell phone chargers, small appliances like toasters, or power strips that provide power for many appliances.
- Big-screen TVs, DVD players, digital photo frames, and other appliances use more energy than you realize.
- Unplugging an appliance is best because certain appliances use energy even if they are turned off.
- Consult with roommates or coworkers before unplugging a shared appliance.
3- Close blinds ,storm windows ,or shades during the day:
- Most central air conditioners will also have internal fans to help circulate the air in your house while reducing your need to use the air conditioner. Turn the fan on “auto.”
- Using fans at night will help a natural breeze cool down your house; this will only work if you live in an area that drops in temperature at night.
- Turn a fan directly towards yourself or guests if the temperature is very hot.
5-Use air conditioning efficiently:
Set the thermostat to 78, and don’t lower it. You can also turn the air conditioning off at night and in the early morning. If you want to invest in an energy efficient air conditioner, these are 10-15% more efficient.
- The smaller the difference between the outdoor and indoor temperatures, the smaller your bill.
- Do not place appliances that give off heat, such as lamps or TVs, near an air conditioner’s thermostat.
Use electricity during off-peak hours:
If you plan to use electronics like a washer and dryer, air conditioning, and computers or televisions, try to do so during off-peak hours like early in the morning or late at night. Electrical companies charge less for energy consumed during off-peak hours.
- It is recommended you wait until after 6 pm to cook, do laundry, or wash dishes on days the temperature is over 90 degrees.
- Contact your local electrical company for more information on local peak hours.
Click here to calculate your saving instantly !
Resources : wikihow